ISC dig & host
Jump to navigation Jump to search
To get dig and host on Windows...
- Download the latest from https://www.isc.org/download/
- Click on BIND 9 and click the Download button by the Current-Stable version (or the dev one if you feel adventurous).
- Unzip the archive and copy the following files to the location of your choice.
- Whatever folder you put them in needs to be in the path so if it's not then you'll need to add it.
- Note: I keep all my scripts and CLI stuff in C:\Users\USERNAME\bin so I just dropped them there.
- Hit the WIN key and type "environment". You should see "Edit the system environment variables" pretty quickly, click that.
- At the bottom of the Systems Properties dialog is a button labelled Environment Variables, click that.
- Double-click the Path variable and add your new folder.
- Open a command prompt and try out the dig and host commands and they should be working.
- If you want .digrc to work then add a variable named HOME that points at the folder where .digrc lives.
- .digrc is a text file with options for dig. You should put +noall +answer in it. 😊
- Since it's named HOME I pointed it at my home directory (usually C:\Users\USERNAME), put .digrc in there and then hid the file so it didn't add to the files I had to look at to find things.